How to find a good dentist in Fremont CA, Newark CA, Union City area
When you choose a new dentist, you are making an important decision for you and your family. You and your dentist will be long-term oral health care partners; therefore, it is important to find someone you can be comfortable with.
There could be many reasons for seeking a new dentist.
- You may have moved to new neighborhood or a different city altogether
- Perhaps your current dentist is retiring
- Your dental needs have changed
- You are dissatisfied with the service you are receiving from your current dentist
The first step to finding a good dentist is to establish basic criteria depending on your needs.
- For most of us, the first and foremost is proximity to home, work or school. It’s easier to keep appointments if the dentist’s office is nearby.
- A second criterion is whether you and your family have any special needs. For example, you may want a dentist who can treat the entire family from young children, adults to seniors
- You might be looking for a dentist who also performs advance procedures like root canals, dental implants, Invisalign, etc
- Another key factor is whether the dentist is in-network provider with your dental insurance plan
Once you have determined the basic criteria, you should be ready to start your search, keeping your specific needs in mind. There are a few different ways to search for a good dentist.
- Online Search seems to be the most popular way to search. Especially in metropolitan areas like Fremont, Newark CA, Union City. Some examples of key words to use for search are “Fremont Dentist”, Kids dentist in Fremont, Best dentist in Newark CA, Dentist accepting delta dental in Fremont, Metlife dentist in Fremont CA, etc
- You can also ask family, friends, neighbors, or co-workers for their recommendations. Ask them what they like about their dentist.
- Look for in-network dentists through the online directory provided by your insurance company
- If you’re moving, ask your current dentist to make a recommendation
Once you have short listed a few dentists using the above search methods, then the next step is to narrow down your list by some of the methods described below
- Checking their online reviews on third party sites like Yelp, Google, Yahoo, etc. Try not to discount a dentist based on 1 or 2 bad internet reviews alone. Try to read through all or most of the reviews to get a better understanding of their service
- Visit their website. Check to see if they offer online appointment scheduling and forms submission
- Read through the Dentist’s profile. Where was the dentist educated and trained? What is their approach to preventive dentistry?
- Call the dentist’s office. Do they sound welcoming on phone? Are they able to answer all your questions?
At this point, you should have a pretty good idea on which dentist you want to setup an appointment with. Once you setup an appointment, there are a few things to look for when you go in for your first visit to the dentist office
- Does the office appear to be clean, neat, and orderly? Do all surfaces and equipment in the treatment room appear clean?
- Is the office kids friendly. Usually the kids friendly dental office have toys in common area, Television in every treatment room, etc
- Is the dental staff helpful and willing to answer your questions?
- Do you observe the dentist and staff wearing gloves and other protective gear during actual patient treatment?
- Was the staff courteous and easy to deal with?
- Did the dentist perform a thorough examination of all teeth, including any restorative work you’ve had done; a thorough check of gum health with a periodontal probe; a check for signs of oral cancer; and x-rays, as needed.
- Was the dentist friendly and careful? Did He or She address all your concerns and answer all your questions.
- Did the staff check your dental benefits with your insurance company before you arrive.
- Did the staff review your treatment options and costs before work was done.
- Overall, think about how comfortable you felt with the staff and the office environment.